Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shawn Kemp - Seattle Supersonics


I originally bought this back in 1994 at a shop in the Detroit area. When I was in high school, my goal was to have at least one jersey of all 27 teams (in the early 90's there were only 27 NBA teams in the league). I generally would buy replicas because they were cheaper and they were easier to find. BUT some exceptions had to be made. The Sonics were one of them. The replica Sonics jerseys lacked the banner across the jersey which would feature the team name as well as the player name on the back. So I wanted an authentic Sonics jersey to retain the essence of the jersey. So I found this a a sports card shop and the price, $124.99! I broke down and made the purchase. At the time, I had a job so I was able to spend that money and I did. I still have this jersey today and it does fit a bit tight, I bought my jerseys at size 44 back then and moved up to size 48 after I graduated high school, but I can still fit in it ok and wear it on occasion. The thing with authentics, is that Champion only made "star" players where with replicas, pretty much the whole team was available!

1 comment:

  1. I always hated the replicas of those Sonics jerseys indeed. They looked cheap without the banner across. I love this one, since Kemp, GP and the Sonics were my favorite team in the 90's.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete